Friday, September 16, 2005

I have found heaven...

... and it is in Uruguay.

After tracking the parcel from Uruguay, through Argentina, Brussels and Amsterdam ( sounds like a dodgy mail run to me) the lovely DHL man dropped a big yellow bag at my office early this morning, when I arrived I noticed there were slightly more people in here than normal…5 compared to the usual 1…hovering, pretending to look for things, fix the photocopier, adjust the air-con, all waiting to see what was in the bag…I knew what was coming, but wasn’t prepared for how yummy it would look, how soft it feel, how vinegary ( in a good way) it would smell (no I didn’t taste it…not a good look when you are pretending to be the boss) 2 co-workers disappeared immediately, no doubt disappointed with my purchases, the others succumbed to the lure of the pretty colours and oooohed and aaahed like converts (one of them had to be shown the website immediately)

Look at all of this glorious yumminess, I won’t be going out at all this weekend…except to SSK of course, and this will be coming too. I have plans for the multicoloured laceweight…it will look very different the next time you see it, as for the bulky, not sure right now, but the plan will come together, it always does.


I thanked the yarn gods for the lovely ladies in Uruguay…and hope that they aren’t sick and tired of handpainting yarn, and love it just as much as I do, I worry about wether they are being exploited, or if this is a good way for them to support their families and they really enjoy it, I wonder if they knit, I wonder if their boss stresses them out because she is a control freak and the colour wasn’t “just so”and they go home yell at the kids, kick the llama, collapse on the couch to watch t.v. and tell their husband that if they never see another freakin’ skein of yarn again it will be too bloody soon.
I wonder if I should go have a lie down with a cool flannel on my forehead…

After a phonecall to a friend in NZ who knows about these things, it seems the Uruguay wool co-operatives are kosher so I should support them as much as I can…to this end I have just placed another order, this time for a jumper’s worth of bulky in the “surf” colourway, pale pastel blue shadings that are so “me”, and an “Ella”s worth of laceweight in a dark blue/white colourway which reminds me of indigo tie-dye, what can I say, I am a child of the (late) ‘60s, tie-dye is in my blood, no matter how sophisticated I seem (cough, cough) and a note to my children – no I never did dress you like hippies, yes there were some handpainted dresses, but they were made by professionals. I only made your jumpers, hats and cardis and from what I recall there were lots of kitties, and fairies on those, no tie-dye…maybe a few rainbow stripes …